Monday, May 12, 2008

Words Mean Something

Several weeks ago I realized just how much words mean. Every time I communicate from the platform I always want to be as accurate as I can. I am very careful to know all the facts that I am speaking about. Two weeks ago I was speaking about brokenness. It was a very hard message to share. I was extremely convicted about how I treat people because we never know if they could be hurting. In starting the message I began to talk about brokenness and how it can lead to addiction. During the section when I was talking about substance abuse I was relaying various statistical data about drug use. The stat that I shared was all students who drink alcohol, 50% of them will become cocaine addicts. This was my slip up. Actually the statistic was students who drink are 50 times more likely to use cocaine. This isn’t quite as large as the first stat, but it still paints a pretty bleak picture. We never know what will lead our students down a slippery slope. What we say really matters.

No comments: